Saturday, June 03, 2006

(USA back track 5) Salt Lake City

May/June 2005: I nearly forgot about my little trip over the Rockies to Utah... it was associated with my exams and i tend to forget about anything to do with exams. Speaking of exams i have just finished this semester's exams which means, provided i pass all of them, i've finished my first year.... woohoo!

Ok, back to Salt Lake City... now this definitely wasn't on my places to visit when i arrived in the states, but thanks to the wonderful organisational skills of UNISA (University of South Africa)... said with a touch of sarcasm, i landed having to write my exams in, what turned out to be quite a pretty city! I made 2 trips over the mountains, the first was fairly uneventful, i went there, wrote the exam and come home. On my second trip i had to stay for a couple of days... i stayed at the University of Utah Guest House (lovely little place) and enjoyed a touch of American campus life minus the students (summer vacation), i later found out that i was staying in the 2002 Winter Olympic Village.


Inside the Union Pacific Depot... amazing building


On the day i had no exam, i hoped on the Trax of made my way downtown to do a little sightseeing. I had a look around Market Square where the Mormon Church (or to be more specific... The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints) and the Tabernacle Choir are located... very fascinating place (still don't agree with the whole thing, but each to their own)! Next was a walk down to The Gateway Plaza, which is an extension of the Union Pacific Railway Depot and was built mainly to service the Olympics. Other than that, i didn't really have time to see and do loads more, cos there was studying to be done... but it was an enjoyable unexpected side trip.

Stay tuned for more updates now that i have more time on my hands!

No comments: